Download Sewing Patterns Today!


Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Designer of the Month: Heavenleigh Blessings Boutique

Designer of the Month:
Written by Heather (Goosie Girl) Niziolek for the 
Designing Minds Blog.

 Welcome to our first "Designer of the Month" showcase! We are really excited to introduce you to this designer...We're trying to showcase not only very talented individuals in the Designer of the Month Feature Articles, but also those with UNIQUE "stories". What makes this designer unique, you may ask? well,  not only is he a MALE designer (somewhat rare in the custom boutique circles) but WOW his designs make me drool! If I had 1 ounce of the talent that he has, Sheesh!! To say, "I'm impressed!" would be a great understatement. I've come to discover that Tom takes so much care and puts so much into each & every design he creates. Make no mistake, his work is impeccable, and being male in a field dominated by women, this does not make him any less talented, nor his designs any less sought after. His design and sewing skills far surpass excellence. I love the details he uses, the applique work, the ruffles, the ribbons, the bows... nothing could be any more girly and beautiful than his work. Heavenleigh Blessings Boutique enjoys a strong customer following. It was a pleasure to work with him to put together this showcase. If you have any questions for Tom, please post them as a comment so that he can get back to you with any additional information you may like about him, his business or his designs.


Enjoy the show...
(If you're having trouble viewing the embedded video below,
 here is a linky dink to make for easy peasy viewing: CLICK TO VIEW )
 
Q & A With our January 2013 Designer of the Month:
Tom Jordan, of Heavenleigh Blessings Boutique



Q. Your name & your business name?

A. Tom Jordan, HeavenleighBlessingsBoutique 



Q. Where are you from?

A. Born and raised in Northwest Ohio


Q. What is your location? (city/state) 
A. Urbana, Ohio

Q. Where can we find you on the internet?
A .My Facebook page mostly 

Q. How long have you been in business?
A. I've been selling on Facebook through my page and launch groups for a little over a year, but I've been sewing for at least 8 years.

Q. How did you get started?
A. I started sewing when my daughter was around three. My wife was buying customs from Ebay for my daughter and I just about fell off of my chair when I saw how much they cost.
I didn't want to stop having my daughter wear these beautiful clothes, but I knew that with a little time and effort, we may be able to create something just as nice. Little did I know that I would be the one to get hooked!

Q. What is your favorite thing about custom boutique/handmade & owning your own business?
A. Getting to know my customers and creating beautiful clothing.

Q. What is your least favorite thing about custom boutique/handmade and owning your own business?
A. Being in such demand and having to say no. That may sound weird, but I hate getting behind and really don't like to have something that I love to do become too stressful.

Q. Who is YOUR favorite designer? 
A. Lisa Williams from Funktional Threads is awesome. Erin Kaiser, from Erin's Designs is great, too. I am happy to say that they have also become great friends of mine. I really admire their work and attention to detail!
A whimsical and fun applique laden dress
by Funktional Threads


Q. What makes you smile? 
A. My beautiful wife, Angela, and daughter, Leighanna.

Q. Tell us a little bit about your family life.
A. I married my high school sweetheart 28 years ago. We have one daughter, Leighanna. She will be 11 years old soon. I work full time outside of the home in a bakery, and sew whenever I get the chance. We enjoy Disney and are always planning our next vacation.

Q. If you could sit and spend the day with another designer for one day in their studio, who would it be?
A. Lisa Williams (of Funktional Threads). She does such wonderful hand applique work.


Q. What is your favorite book? 
A. Don't have much time to read. I love sewing and craft books. Some of my favorites are Girl's World, and Happy Home written by Jennifer Paganelli, and Sewn Hats, written by Carla Crim. (*blogger's note, Goosie Girl actually worked with Carla on that book & highly recommends it. There is a mini top hat pattern of ours together in that book! EEE!!! so excited you liked it Tom, :) Goosie) 

Q. One piece of advice you wish you'd known when you first started out?
A. It's o.k. to say no. I have gotten behind more than I have wanted. I now know only take on orders that can be completed and delivered within a reasonable amount of time!

Q. What is one technique/skill you'd like to learn to do (or to improve upon)?
A. Hand applique skills.

Q.What is your favorite or best-selling design you've created?
A. My favorite design that I have created would probably be my light up creations. I don't mass produce any of my designs, most are one or two of a kind. (see photo at the bottom for an example)

Q. If you could have one super power what would it be, and why?
A. To be able to sew at the speed of light! Lol!

Q. Which blogs do you read regularly?
A. Scientific Seamstess , Sis Boom , Sewing Story Projects (written by my dear creative friend, Cathy), Stop staring and start sewing , and way too many other quilting blogs to mention!




Q. Tea or coffee? 
A. Neither… I am a Diet Mountain Dew drinker.

Q.Finish this sentence, "If you REALLY knew me, you'd know _____"
A. "I am a practical joker and like to have fun!!"

Q. What is your favorite holiday? 
A. Christmas!

Q. One goal you've set for yourself/your business for 2013? 
A. Continue to be as creative as I can and always strive on providing quality, one of a kind clothing.

One of Tom's recent "light up" creation dresses with a Minnie Mouse theme.
 Love the mix of fabrics and I bet it looks amazing all lit up! 

(click to see it up close on his Facebook page)

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on the feature Tom! Well-deserved! Your creations are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the recognition Tom!! Absolutely deserved!!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom, I have admired your work since the day I first saw one of your creations. You have the best eye for mixing fabrics together and then, always add that special little touch that makes them one of a kind. Congrats on the feature story and sew on! Can't wait to see what you come up with next :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Tom!! What a great accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom, Congratulations!!!!! Keep creating those beautiful dresses.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom, I have loved "growing up in the sewing world" with you and our fun group these past...how many years????? Has it been since 2007 or 2006????? Wow..I lost count. I am your biggest fan and love each and every one of your creations. Thanks to Designing Minds for putting together this great feature! Fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a HUGE fan of Tom's (both as a designer and as a downright nice guy)! He has a sharp eye for great fabrics and patterns and he's always coming up with new, great ideas. What a great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to see Tom featured. I LOVE seeing all of his designs...he is so creative and talented.

    ReplyDelete